Hi Kim;

I have patients eat a light supper (staying away from food that makes them gassy), and abstain from caffiene or coffee products, carbonated beverages, smoking, or chewing gum beginning late afternoon the day prior to the exam.  I urge them to drink as much water as they want, including drinking 2 glasses the morning of the exam.  They are allowed to take their meds. Can't tell you the last time I wasn't able to easily perform a complete study with this prep.  The extra water increases renal metabolism and visualization of arcuate vessels, while the remainder of the prep decreases gas.  That being said, I've often gotten by with less prep, depending upon the patient.

Linda