We permit finger brachial pressure gradients of max. 40 mmHg within the same
arm, but without left to right side differences of more than 15% between the
fingers, which represents the 95% measurement errors between bilateral
pressure measurements of the thumbs during one session. Since
atherosclerosis is very rare in the upper extremity arteries, the
indications for finger (mostly thumb) pressure measurements are m. Raynaud
(low temperatur provocation), evalution of steal fenomena through dialysis
fistulas (with/without fistula compression), rheumatological diseases, TOS,
suspected arterial embolisations, giant cell (temporal) arteritis,
SCA-stenosis/occlusion (atherosclerosis, Takayasu).

Reinhard

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 13:51:07 -0500, Smith, Matthew G.
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Normal finger/brachial indices typically range from 0.8-0.9 (90% of normal
values exceed 0.79).  I assume you would comment on the lowest finger
pressure (if wildly different from other finger pressures and if the patient
complains of specific symptoms in the finger(s) with abnormally low
pressures).  Most PVR machines would report a "FBI" for each individual
finger pressure automatically.  Typically, in our lab, an upper extremity
PVR study only includes fingers if the patient complains of symptoms in the
fingers (or if the doctor requests it).  We wouldn't typically record finger
pressures for all 10 digits for every upper extremity PVR, unless the
indication warrants it. Testing for Raynauds usually incorporates multiple
finger pressures, but for thoracic outlet testing, you can usually get away
with one finger PPG and no pressures (if the PPG waveforms change
dramatically with arm position, it's positive).