Fellow UVMers,

     Happy New Year and welcome back to Burlington for the new semester! For
those of you who are new to UVM and receiving a message from me for the
first time, you'll be receiving a weekly update from the President of the
Student Government Association (currently me) as long as you are at UVM with
programs and events happening in the upcoming week(s) as well as important
information. In addition to the regular e-mail that I send out, some events
or situations warrant their own e-mail. For example, a separate e-mail was
sent prior to election day with important details about voting, a separate
e-mail was sent out about pedestrian/biker safety after a UVM student was
injured in a hit-and-run accident this Fall, and a separate e-mail will be
sent prior to the SGA elections (which will all be conducted online for the
first time!)

*What is in the weekly e-mail?*
     I include blurbs for events and programs put on by students, student
organizations, or UVM departments for the benefit of students. Many of these
events also appear in the This Week @ UVM publication managed by the
University, however it's good to check both. If you are hoping to see your
blurb appear in my e-mail, check out the information and guidelines included
here:
http://www.uvm.edu/~jtaylor2/SGA/2008%20-%202009%20Files/Campus%20Wide%20E-Mail%20Submission%20Guidelines%20and%20Information/<http://www.uvm.edu/%7Ejtaylor2/SGA/2008%20-%202009%20Files/Campus%20Wide%20E-Mail%20Submission%20Guidelines%20and%20Information/>

*What is going on right now in Burlington:*
     It's cold, and it is getting colder. When you head back to Burlington,
be aware that it's going to be very chilly over the next couple of days (not
just regular-chilly) so check the weather and plan accordingly. The
Burlington mayoral race is heating up. Four candidates have entered the race
(Kurt Wright, Dan Smith, Bob Kiss, Andy Montroll) and you can check them out
at the Mayoral Debate hosted by the SGA on February 17th at 7:00 pm in the
Davis Center's Livak Ballroom. Also, if you park a vehicle in Burlington, be
sure you understand the Burlington Parking Ban whenever it snows. UVM sends
out notice of each parking ban to all students, but more information is
available here:
http://www.ci.burlington.vt.us/parking/winter_parking_ban.php

*What's going on right now at UVM:*
     If you're new or haven't been paying very close attention, you should
know that UVM, like many schools and institutions, is currently facing tough
budget decisions and a roughly $28,000,000 (yeah, that's $28 million) budget
shortfall over the next three fiscal years. This is partly due to recision
of the State of Vermont's UVM appropriation, partly due to lost earnings
from our endowment and other funds where money is kept, partly due to
unexpected costs from PeopleSoft and other projects, and partly due to a
now-discontinued practice involving recurring unbudgeted expenditures. (This
is where it gets confusing) See, while UVM often spends more than is
originally budgeted, we also often generate more revenue than is budgeted.
This practice of covering unbudgeted expenses with unbudgeted revenue has
served us just fine . . . until now when the unbudgeted revenue has largely
dried up. One structural issue is the recurring unbudgeted expenditures,
which were covered with unbudgeted revenues while we had them rather than
adding them to the base budget. The interim CFO, Richard Cate, has been
working since late Spring to change the way our budgeting occurs and include
these recurring expenses as part of the budget and to stop relying on
unbudgeted revenue to reconcile our books.
To close the budget gap many things are being done, including adding
approximately 300 students, dipping into the 'rainy day' reserves, clamping
down on frivolous spending, and (sadly) not rehiring some employees and
"unfunding" some vacant positions. To learn more about this try here or
search the Burlington Free Press's page for its coverage:
http://www.uvm.edu/president/budgetinfo/

     I hope that you have enjoyed a restful and relaxing break. Best of luck
starting classes and journeying back to good ol' B-town.

- Jay

ps. If you have a suggestion or complaint, we want to hear it!

*What is in this e-mail?*
Last day for online textbook orders at Bookstore, 1/9 (Friday)
Help wanted and hours of operation at the UVM Climbing Wall
Juniors: Check out Mortar Board, national honor society
President Fogel and Provost Hughes at SGA public forum, 1/13
WinterBlitz - Cool events, some free food, good times.
Apply for an internship in Montpelier w/State government
-------
*Friday, January 9th, is the last day to place online textbook orders*

4:00pm EST is the deadline to place your textbook orders using the
Bookstore's online ordering system that gives you first crack at the used
books, as well as saving you time waiting in line at the register and
roaming around the downstairs part of the Bookstore searching for books. The
website is: http://uvmstore.uvm.edu/

By the way, textbook BuyBack was very successful in December and the
Bookstore and Nebraska Book Company (UVM's book wholesaler) are donating
$3500 to the Chittenden Emergency Food Shelf to help Vermonters in need find
a warm meal this Winter.
------
*Climbing Club seeks staffers for the Climbing Wall, which opens 1/12
*
The Climbing Club is looking for some dedicated people to work at the
Climbing Wall this year.  There are opportunities for work study as well as
volunteering.  No experience is required.  If interested please email Dan
Smith at [log in to unmask] for more information.  The Climbing Wall will be
opening on Monday the 12th at 5pm.
------
*Juniors: An Announcement About UVM's Mortar Board*

If you have junior standing, have a 3.2 or better GPA, and expect to
graduate in either December 2009 or May 2010 (there may be some exceptions
to these general graduation dates), you are eligible to apply for membership
in Mortar Board, a national senior honor society.  For more information
about Mortar Board and for application materials, please visit this website:
www.uvm.edu/~mboard <http://www.uvm.edu/%7Emboard>
------
*President Fogel and Provost Hughes talk budget with students, 1/13*

During the public forum of our regular SGA Senate meeting on Tuesday, both
President Fogel and Provost Hughes will be discussing budget issues facing
the University and answering student questions. You can come watch and
listen, and several students from the audience will be able to ask their
questions. 7:00 pm on Tuesday (1/13), Livak Ballroom on the 4th floor of the
Davis Center.
------
*WinterBlitz Line-Up!  (Presented by Campus Programs and the Department of
Student Life)*

Click here to download a .pdf flyer of the events:
http://www.uvm.edu/~jtaylor2/SGA/2008%20-%202009%20Files/Campus%20Wide%20E-Mail%20Resources/Weekly%20resources/CWS%201%20-%20January%208th/<http://www.uvm.edu/%7Ejtaylor2/SGA/2008%20-%202009%20Files/Campus%20Wide%20E-Mail%20Resources/Weekly%20resources/CWS%201%20-%20January%208th/>

*ALL WEEK: JANUARY 12-JANUARY 16: FREE Coffee & Hot Cider -- 11am-1pm*
Cold Day?  We'll be located inside the DC Atrium
Nice Day? We'll be outside by the Catamount Statue

*January 12, 2009: Snacks & Crafts (FREE) *-- 7pm-10 pm, Mt. Mansfield Room
(2nd floor, DC)
Join us for a bite to eat and some fun crafty projects!  We will have all
sorts of quick bites to munch on while you have a chance to be creative and
make some fun things.  Bring your friends or meet some new ones!!

*January 14, 2009: Date Night at the Davis Center (FREE)*  8 pm, Sugar
Maple Ballroom (4th floor, DC)
Been looking for a free and fun evening activity!? As part of WinterBlitz,
Date Night at the Davis Center will feature a FREE live performance by Todd
Alsup and free coffee, sparkling cider, hors d'oeuvres, candlelight and
more. Todd is a singer/songwriter who will entertain you with his smooth
voice and incredible piano playing. Bring a friend, a date, or attend solo
and meet new people!

*January 15, 2009: UVM Skates*  10 pm-1am, Leddy Arena ($3 skate rentals
w/UVM ID)
Spend the night on ice!  From 10 pm - 1am, Leddy Arena will be open to UVM
students with $3 skate rentals.  For your convenience, we are offering FREE
shuttles to Leddy Arena.  The first shuttle leaves at approximately 9:45 pm
and will stop at the Davis Center loop and Patrick Gym.  Shuttles will run
every 30 minutes thereafter.  The last shuttle from the rink back to campus
will be at 1:15 am.

*January 16, 2009: Talk Sex with Sue Johanson! *($5 w/UVM ID, $15 public) --
8pm, Grand Maple Ballroom (4th floor, DC) -- Sponsored by Campus Programs &
the Center for Health and Wellbeing
Sue Johanson, Canada's foremost sex educator and counselor, is coming to UVM
on Friday, January 16th at 8 pm! Tickets available at Student Life in the
Davis Center and at www.uvmtickets.com.  For the last 30 years, she has
provided frank and honest sex education to thousands of people through her
lectures, radio programs, and the Sunday Night Sex Show on television.  Ask
questions.  Get Answers.  Talk Sex.
------
*Paid State Government Internships in Montpelier*

The Office of the Senate Pro Tem has an internship available for college and
graduate school students.  The applicants must have completed two years of
college, have excellent communication and writing skills, be able to work in
a fast-paced environment, and have research experience.  Applicants should
be able to commit 25 hours a week and ideally be available Tuesdays,
Wednesdays, and Thursdays.  Responsibilities will include scheduling the
Senate Pro Tem, communicating with constituents, researching key pieces of
legislation and interacting with Senators.  For more information please call
Alex MacLean, 802-828-3806 or email [log in to unmask]

The Senate Majority Leader has an internship available for college and
graduate school students.  The applicants must have completed two years of
college, have excellent communication and writing skills, be able to work in
a fast-paced environment, and have research experience.  Applicants should
be able to commit 15 hours a week.  Responsibilities will include
communicating with constituents, researching key pieces of legislation and
interacting with Senators.  For more information please call Alex MacLean,
802-828-3806 or email [log in to unmask]

Pay Range:
The below numbers are approximate.
$1,800 for the Senate Majority Leader's intern.  Based on the intern
committing 15 hours per week for a 17-week session.
$2,400 for the Speaker's intern.  Based on the intern committing 20 hours
per week for a 17-week session.
$3,000 for the Senate Pro Tem's intern.  Based on the intern committing 25
hours per week for a 17-week session.

To view the applications click here:
http://www.uvm.edu/~jtaylor2/SGA/2008%20-%202009%20Files/Campus%20Wide%20E-Mail%20Resources/Weekly%20resources/CWS%201%20-%20January%208th/<http://www.uvm.edu/%7Ejtaylor2/SGA/2008%20-%202009%20Files/Campus%20Wide%20E-Mail%20Resources/Weekly%20resources/CWS%201%20-%20January%208th/>
------
That's all, folks.

--
Jay Taylor