Monday, January 5th, 2008:  6:00 A.M. update from Waterbury, VT

New Snow: 0.1 inches (sleet)

Liquid Equivalent:  0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 5.0

Snow Density:  20.0% H2O

Temperature:  21.7 F

Humidity:  74%

Dew Point:  12.3 F

Barometer:  29.94 in. Hg

Wind:  Calm

Sky:  Cloudy

Storm snow total:  0.1 inches

Storm liquid equivalent total:  0.02 inches

Current snow at the stake:  11 inches

Season snowfall total:  86.9 inches

I heard the tick of what sounded like a few sleet pellets on the window around 11:45 P.M. last night, and this morning there was a tenth of an inch of accumulation on the snowboard.  I melted down what was in the snow/rain gauge to reveal 0.02 inches of liquid.  There was no sign of any sleet accumulation on top of our snowpack, but the top layer derived from Saturday’s upslope snow is still so fluffy that I suspect a few sleet pellets would have gone right through it to the more dense layers below.  The snowpack has settled some since the upslope snow, going from a weekend high of 14 inches on Saturday afternoon, down to 11 inches this morning as the upper layer of fluff compacts.  With December complete I’ve got the monthly snowfall total in our location (chart included below), which ended up being 55.9 inches.  For reference, in December 2007 we had 67.2 inches of snow, 86.0 inches for the season by the end of the month, and 18 inches at our stake on the morning of Jan 1, 2008, and in December 2006 we had 20.2 inches of snow, 21.9 inches for the season by the end of the month, and 5.5 inches at our stake on the morning of Jan 1, 2007.

J.Spin

Send e-mail faster without improving your typing skills. Get your Hotmail® account. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SkiVt-L is brought to you by the University of Vermont.