I stopped off for a skin up Timberline yesterday morning, so here’s a conditions update.  There temperature was about 10-12 F down in the valley (300’-500’), and 8 F up at the Timberline Base (1,550’), and the precipitation was just snow flurries.  I skinned up Twice as Nice, and I’d be surprised if they opened it to skiing when they open the lift, since coverage is still not too great there.  Usually Twice as Nice seems pretty protected from wind, but it seemed to get hit pretty hard a couple storms ago.  It also could simply be that they groomed it so it looks worse than the other trails.  The mountain was making snow on Showtime, which must have been a piece of cake with the temperatures, and judging by the whales I’d say they will have a ton of snow on there.  I stopped at the Timberline mid station and began my descent from there, heading along Wood’s Hole.  Ty and I had skipped past Brandywine on Sunday, so I checked it out this time.  There are certainly areas of brush still poking through still, but there was plenty of coverage for bottomless powder turns as well in many places.  The snow that fell on Thursday and Thursday night was notably drier (4% H2O for both periods based on my valley analyses) than what had fallen on Wednesday, and you could feel the difference in the powder skiing.  It was still nice to have that denser base around though.  I was the only one who had been on Brandy Wine, but I did see several sets of tracks on Spell Binder as I crossed beneath it, presumably made by some early morning turn-earners or someone from the night before.  Timberline was supposed to open today, but my Bolton Valley update from this morning indicates that they have a mechanical issue to deal with first:

“And now the bad news: even though we've been careful not to make any promises about the Timberline Chair opening up, I finally strongly suggested it would be running this weekend. And that can only mean one thing: a mechanical issue will keep Timberline on hold Saturday. We've got the Dopplemayr experts on site, and shipments are on their way to the mountain from Utah, so progress is being made. But that lift will not be ready today. I blame myself for blatantly jinxing it.”

So the good news is that there’s a little more time for those that want to earn turns.  Wilderness is opening up today however, so that should be a nice addition to lift-served terrain.  In terms of new snow, it didn’t look like we’d be getting too much out of the Saturday/Sunday system, but now it seems to have moved north a bit so we may get in on some snow.  Currently our county (Washington) is under a Winter Weather Advisory:

NYZ034-035-VTZ008>010-018-102200-
/O.NEW.KBTV.WW.Y.0002.090111T0000Z-090111T1600Z/
WESTERN ESSEX-EASTERN ESSEX-WASHINGTON-WESTERN ADDISON-ORANGE- EASTERN ADDISON- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...LAKE PLACID...PORT HENRY... TICONDEROGA...MONTPELIER...MIDDLEBURY...VERGENNES...BRADFORD...
RANDOLPH...BRISTOL...RIPTON
414 AM EST SAT JAN 10 2009
...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO
11 AM EST SUNDAY...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW ACROSS THE SOUTHERN ADIRONDACKS OF NEW YORK AND CENTRAL VERMONT...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 11 AM EST SUNDAY.
SNOWFALL TOTALS WILL BE 3 TO 5 INCHES ACROSS THE SOUTHERN
ADIRONDACKS OF NEW YORK AND CENTRAL VERMONT BY EARLY SUNDAY.
LIGHT SNOW WILL DEVELOP FROM SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST ACROSS CENTRAL VERMONT BETWEEN 10 PM AND MIDNIGHT TONIGHT. SNOW MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES AFTER MIDNIGHT.
A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS CONDITIONS FOR PRODUCING AROUND 4 INCHES OF SNOW ARE EXPECTED TONIGHT AND CAN MAKE TRAVEL HAZARDOUS.
PLEASE STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...YOUR LOCAL MEDIA...OR GO TO WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON FOR FURTHER UPDATES ON THIS WEATHER SITUATION.

SISSON

I’ve got one picture from yesterday pasted below for an idea of the snow consistency:

J.Spin

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. See how it works. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SkiVt-L is brought to you by the University of Vermont.