Sunday, January 11th, 2009:  6:00 A.M. update from Waterbury, VT

New Snow: 4.7 inches

Liquid Equivalent:  0.29 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 16.2

Snow Density:  6.2% H2O

Temperature:  11.7 F

Humidity:  52%

Dew Point:  -5.6 F

Barometer:  30.00 in. Hg

Wind:  Calm

Sky:  Moderate Snow

Storm snow total:  4.7 inches

Storm liquid equivalent total:  0.29 inches

Current snow at the stake:  19 inches

Season snowfall total:  103.4 inches

The Burlington NWS had our area under a winter weather advisory for 3 to 5 inches of snow with this event, but after seeing the radar last night somewhere in the 8:00 – 10:00 P.M. range, it showed a sharp cutoff of precipitation way down south.  Even southern Vermont hardly seemed to be getting into much snow.  I was wondering if we were going to get anything near what was forecast, but the snow certainly built in last night as I found a decent stack on the snowboard and 0.29 inches of liquid obtained from the core sample.  I did notice that our forecast has been bumped up slightly from the last time I looked and is now calling for 3 to 6 inches of snow, so perhaps that is a sign of how the storm is behaving.  We’ve already passed the 5 inch accumulation mark anyway, as I just checked the snowboard at 7:00 A.M. and found another half inch on there.  It appeared that the snowfall has been moderate over the past hour, running at ~0.5”/hr since I took my 6:00 A.M. observations.  The rate of snowfall has decreased a bit now however, into the range of what I’d call light snow.  A couple of images from this morning are included below:

J.Spin

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. Check it out. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SkiVt-L is brought to you by the University of Vermont.