Wednesday, January 28th, 2009:  4:00 P.M. update from Waterbury, VT

New Snow:  6.5 inches

Liquid Equivalent:  0.71 inches

Snow/Water Ratio:  9.2

Snow Density:  10.9% H2O

Temperature:  20.7 F

Humidity:  89%

Dew Point:  16.7 F

Barometer:  29.80 in. Hg

Wind:  5-10 MPH

Sky:  Snow/Heavy Snow

Storm snow total:  6.5 inches

Storm liquid equivalent total:  0.71 inches

Current snow at the stake:  23 inches

Season snowfall total:  122.1 inches

There was very light snow in Burlington when I arrived there this morning around 7:00 A.M., and it certainly increased in intensity throughout the day.  I left Burlington at about 2:30 P.M., and checked the accumulation on a car in the parking lot and found just about 3 inches.  It didn’t seem like much snow for how long it had been snowing at decent intensity, but it appears to be an issue of flake size and loft.  The flakes that were falling were only up to a couple of mm in diameter, and there were needles in there as well.  With the small flakes, the snowfall just didn’t look that intense, but as I was leaving I had to wait at a stoplight and in the minute or so that I sat there, the amount of snow that accumulated on my windshield was impressive.  It was clearly snowing hard at that point, even if the flakes were rather small.  The driving wasn’t too bad; I-89 had clear asphalt in the standard lane, with packed snow in the passing lane.  Route 2 was snow packed, with a few inches on the road by the time I got to Washington County.  There was some wind, and minor whiteout conditions in the windier parts of the drive.  The temperature when I left Burlington was 25 F, and when I arrived in Waterbury around 3:00 P.M. it was around 20 F.  I couldn’t believe the amount of water in just the 6.5 inches of snow that collected on the board:  0.71 inches of liquid!  It’s hard to imagine us not getting at least an inch of liquid out of this event, even down here in the valley.

I’ll try to make some hourly measurements off the snowboard to get an idea of our snowfall rates this evening.

Time - Storm Total

3:30 P.M.:  6.0”

4:00 P.M.:  6.5”

5:00 P.M.:  7.4”

I added a few images below, the first one was our Waterbury forecast from earlier today; it’s always nice to see two forecast periods with substantial accumulations.  The second one was the BTV “Storm Total Forecast” from earlier today, and the third one is a shot of the snowboard before the 4:00 P.M. clearing.

J.Spin

Windows Live™ Hotmail®…more than just e-mail. See how it works. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SkiVt-L is brought to you by the University of Vermont.