Friday, January 30th, 2009:  8:00 P.M. update from Waterbury, VT

New Snow:  1.1 inches

Liquid Equivalent:  0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio:  36.7

Snow Density:  2.7% H2O

Temperature:  26.2 F

Humidity:  85%

Dew Point:  20.8 F

Barometer:  29.83 in. Hg

Wind:  Calm

Sky:  Flurries

Storm snow total:  1.1 inches

Storm liquid equivalent total:  0.03 inches

Current snow at the stake:  26 inches

Season snowfall total:  128.5 inches

I was in my office at UVM finishing up some work and getting ready to catch the 5:22 P.M. bus to Waterbury, when I looked out my window and saw something that seemed strange.  There was still a bit of light in the sky, except to the northwest where the sky had gone very black.  I could clearly see the black mass of clouds creeping toward our area, and it literally looked like a thunderstorm was approaching.  I thought to myself, “What the heck is going to come out of that thing?”  It looked so much like a thunderstorm that it was hard to imagine anything but rain coming out of it, but fortunately it was January and it was cold.  It was going to be snow.  I took a quick peek at the radar and saw a colorful wall approaching us:

I was a little disappointed with the timing of the snow, partially because it might slow down the vehicles on the evening commute, but also because I was going to miss the chance to see what it was like at home when that moisture tried to squeeze its way through and over the wall of the Green Mountains.  The snow came in a bit before my bus left, and boy was it coming down; it was probably in the 2 inch per hour range as Scott indicated in his report at Eastern, and there was some wind blowing it around.  The intense snowfall slowed down the drive a bit, but there was no previous accumulation on the road and Buddy, our driver, did a great job.  I thought the snow might stay right with us as we headed east into the mountains, but by the time we got to Richmond it was totally gone.  I couldn’t imagine we’d beaten the squall line to Richmond, so I figured it had died out.

I got to Waterbury and there was nothing at all falling from the sky.  I could see the moon and stars as well.  However, there was the faintest indication that the moon was starting to disappear as I drove to the house.  When I got home, I took another look at the radar, and low and behold the squall line had not died out, it was somehow moving so slowly that it hadn’t even made it to the Chittenden/Washington county line.  It didn’t look quite as intense at it had appeared on the radar when it was in the Burlington area, but there were still returns in the 35 db range and it looked like we were due to get hit with it in short order:

I found it amusing that I was going to get dumped on by the same squall line twice!

While we were eating dinner the snow came in, and I noted that it was 6:38 P.M. when it began.  The snow came in hard just as it had in Burlington, although we didn’t really have any wind since we’re in a sheltered location.  It wasn’t long before it seemed to be tapering off so I popped on my boots to get a measurement.  E laughed at me and said “You’re going to measure?  It’s only been snowing for 10 minutes!”  Actually, it had been 17 minutes, but that’s how hard it had been coming down, there was already plenty of snow to measure.  It turned out that we’d picked up 0.7 inches in 17 minutes, which comes in at about 2.5”/hr

The snow stopped after accumulating another few tenths of an inch, but while I was out to finish up clearing the driveway from the midweek storm, it started snowing again.  We picked up another four tenths of an inch with light to moderate snow from that episode, and I checked the radar to find that another small band of snow had set up over us in the I-89 area:

Hopefully the mountains will pick up a few inches from this activity to put a fluffy coating on top of the more dense stuff we picked up during the midweek storm, although either way, it looks like the skiing will be fantastic this weekend with all the new snow and comfortable temperatures in the forecast.  The intermediate snowfall observations I recorded this evening are listed below:

Time / Storm Total

6:38 P.M.:  0.0”

6:55 P.M.:  0.7”

7:00 P.M.:  1.0”

7:10 P.M.:  1.1”

9:00 P.M.:  1.5”

J.Spin

Windows Live™ Hotmail®…more than just e-mail. See how it works. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SkiVt-L is brought to you by the University of Vermont.