Saturday, January 31st, 2009:  12:00 P.M. update from Waterbury, VT

New Snow:  0.1 inches

Liquid Equivalent:  N.D.

Snow/Water Ratio:  N.D.

Snow Density:  N.D.

Temperature:  19.9 F

Humidity:  52%

Dew Point:  2.6 F

Barometer:  29.88 in. Hg

Wind:  Calm

Sky:  Partly Cloudy

Storm snow total:  1.6 inches

Storm liquid equivalent total:  0.04 inches

Current snow at the stake:  26 inches

Season snowfall total:  129.0 inches

We picked up just a tenth of an inch of new snow from this morning’s snow shower activity, to bring this event to 1.6 inches of accumulation.  I was initially expecting this day to be in the 20s F, and fairly mild on the mountain, but that wasn’t the case.  Ty and I got up to the Bolton Valley Village (~2,100’) between 8:30 and 9:00 A.M., and it was still cold – at around 9:30 A.M. the thermometer at the bottom of the Mid Mountain Lift (~2,150’) was reading just 11 F.  It never really warmed up much during the day, but the new snow was great.  The mountain was reporting 6 inches at the summit (3,150’) and when I checked with my measurement pole I found about 4-5 new inches in the mid mountain area (2,500’).  It was fairly easy to tell which snow was new because last night’s snow was feather light, and it sat on top of the more dense stuff from the midweek system.  With the new snowfall overnight, the snow depth at the stake on Mt. Mansfield hit 74 inches today, which is its highest level this season.  The overnight snow also brought us to over 50 inches of snowfall for the month at our location in Waterbury, and unless we get any snow this evening, the current January total of 50.9 inches will be where we end up for the month.  I’ve added updated snowfall and snowpack plots below:

J.Spin

Windows Live™ Hotmail®:…more than just e-mail. Check it out. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SkiVt-L is brought to you by the University of Vermont.