Lydia Witman wrote:
> During a discussion about evidence-based practice at my workplace, we
> uncovered disagreement about how to pronounce the acronym "PICO" (the
> mnemonic used to help formulate clinical research questions; it stands for
> Patient/Population/Problem, Intervention, Comparison, and Outcome).

In my classes, I use what I call the CINAHL rule (there must be a more
technical term for it...): Namely, that since the "I" in CINAHL stands
for "Inn-dex" and not "Eyen-dex", the "I" should be pronounced as in
"Inn" and not "Eyen."

So for PICO, using the same logic, since "I" stands for "Intervention"
and not "Eyentervention" or even "Eentervention" ....

would be pronounced PICK-O and not PIE-CO or even PEE-CO.

Although everybody seems to want to say PEE-CO anyway. They must not
have been in library school with me.

Schoolhouse Rock, anyone?

--
Catherine Arnott Smith, PhD
Assistant Professor

My personal website: https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/casmith24/web/

***
The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them.
--Antoine de Saint-Exupery

***
Form is never more than the extension of content.
--Robert Creely [quoted in C. Olson, "Projective Verse", 1950.]