Patti,

I am doing work in this area as well... I do not understand why the National
Library of Medicine cannot advertise.  Well I DO understand; it is all about the
almighty dollar.

We are being bombarded with "viral marketing" messages.. also what impact
does contact by vendors through junk mail, emails, membership in professional
groups, and giving money to support librarian professional meetings have on
the perception of their product as "needed"?

I am also concerned about "stealth" marketing... Librarians serving on so called
publication boards, lending an air of authority to the vendor's product and
giving prestige to the librarian; when there is really no true peer review and
critical analysis of the product.  It is a sensitive issue since these publishers
and reps are also on this Medlib-L list.

The medical library publishing market is well saturated; yet Proquest, Ebsco,
etc are coming up with new products and are trying to convince librarians we
need them.

My angle on all of this is that the model of for profit publishing is
unsustainable.  It is nearly impossible for Joe the Plumber to find authoritative,
quality peer-reviewed information on Internet without being overwhelmed with
commercial messages.

Paul Blobaum, M.A., M.S., Associate Professor
Health and Human Services Librarian, University Library
President of the GSU Faculty Senate
Governors State University
University Park, IL  60466    p-blobaum @ govst.edu      tele. 708.534.4139

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go
into the other room and read a book."  - Groucho Marx  (1890-1977)