Thank you to everyone who responded.  I am now working with the person
that requested this information to see what program she is currently
using and what changes need to be made. Again, thank you to everyone who
helped out.

Here are some of the suggestions I received:

Which software is she using to run the list on?  If she is using the

Listserv software what she wants to do is very easy.  Let me know.

She will need to either have administrator access or talk to the

Listserv administrator about setting up the disk space required but

the archiving is just a matter of adding a line to the command header

-          and well I'll explain that if that is what she's using

If they are using the "real" LISTSERV software and not something else,
it is strictly a matter of the list administrator changing the settings.
The section of the LISTSERV documentation that deals with creating
archives (automatically searchable) is available at:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/15.5/htmlhelp/list%20owners%20-%20beginners
/ListArchives.9.1.html

There is a free version of the original software entitled Listserv (we
tend to use the term generically now, but it was an actual invention by
a guy working in Sweden I believe). Have a look - it seems to be free,
with some limitations. http://www.lsoft.com/download/listservfree.asp

--> (This looks really neat! The only problem is some of the
technical/space requirements. I will have to look into it some more and
talk to IT).

Keep an ongoing updatable running

word.doc be cheapest and easiest? Just copy each message and paste it
into

the "master" .doc, which can then be searched easily with a "find"
command.

No extra software, no vendors, no requisitions, no accounting forms,
only

thing being the need to "save" after each entry or session or whatever
works

best for you. The .doc could be available on site or distributed in
whatever

way meets your group's needs.

Mailman does allow archiving, and I believe that it is relatively simple
to set up an archive using existing text versions of past messages, if
they are all in one file.

For information, visit < http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/index.html
<http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/index.html> >.

--->(I checked this one. It says it is not compatible with Windows. So I
don't think it will work.)

Thank you,

Alisha Miles, MLIS

Medical Librarian

Simon Schwob Medical Library

Columbus Regional Healthcare System

710 Center Street PO Box 951

Columbus, GA 31902

Phone: (706) 571-1179

Fax: (706) 660-2674

NOTICE: WARNING CONCERNING COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS

The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the
making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.
Under certain conditions specific in the law, libraries and archives are
authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these
specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be
used "for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or
research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or
reproduction for purposes in excess of fair use, that user may be liable
for copyright infringement. This library reserves the right to refuse to
accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order
would involve violations of copyright law.