Hey everyone,
If you interested, check out the email below. It sounds very interesting!
Abby

Please join us for CEE Seminar this Friday (2/27).

Kathryn Purchase Fleming, M.S. student in Civil and Environmental
Engineering will be
presenting some of her experiences as an Army engineer in Iraq and
Afghanistan.

The title of her talk will be:

*US Army Engineering: A Pictorial View of My Engineering Experiences
in both Iraq and
Afghanistan

*Background will follow.

CEE Seminar
Friday, 12:50-1:40 PM
Votey 209
Refreshments provided.
Please bring your own cup/plate/etc.

*Background:*
Until 9/11 happened I never thought I'd deploy except for training
purposes, however,
less than a year after graduating from the military academy I found
myself sitting on
the Kuwait/Iraq border and in one of the first waves of the invasion.
I spent 12 months
in Iraq as an Engineer liaison to an aviation unit (Army helicopters)
and platoon leader
responsible for 38 Soldiers and our projects which including building
and repairing
facilities on a US base in Iraq (helipads, airfield repair, wood frame
construction).
Four years later, as a company commander in charge of 160 Soldier
Combat Support
Equipment Engineering Company (translation: heavy road construction
equipment), I
deployed to the ruggedly beautiful country of Afghanistan.  In
Afghanistan, our projects
included a major road project, winterizing existing bases, building
new bases and
inspection of contracted Afghani projects such a schools, medical
clinics and culverts.
I will share my experiences as an Army Engineer, some spectacular
views of the two
countries and their people, and how Army Engineering is helping not
just both US and
coalition forces but also the Iraqi and Afghani people during these
turbulent times.