That's correct, most would have to buy two years worth of bill copies to figure out what they actually PAID during the calender year. When we receive a request for a bill, we ask if they also want a statement of taxes paid if they itemize deductions, and we'll print one out without charge.
St. Albans Town
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Wendy W
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2009 5:03 PM
Subject: Re: Faxing Tax Bills?

We will not fax tax bills unless the taxpayer pays us for the research and fax time, for which we charge $1.

Since they have to come in to pay the buck, they take the copy to the preparer anyway.  The reason they need the tax bill is for the HS 122 stuff.  Tax bill does not state how much the taxpayer actually paid in the calendar year.

It confounds me the number of people who donít keep their tax bills, even though we request it on the bill.

If a taxpayer is telling their preparer that they have paid taxes when they havenít--in the calendar year--thatís fraud!

Wendy Wilton

Rutland City Treasurer