For Java JCreator has a free (trial) version (students can have at home)
and a reasonably priced full version.

It supports everything needed for the AP Computer Science curriculum.

Java is the ONLY language AP Computer Science is available for.

Side note - There is a Free Source Code available version of a Guitar Hero
knock off called Frets on Fire that is done in Python.

Really gets the students attention!

--
Michael Dickinson
Technology Director