Doug,
We are using Powerschool on a windows server and so far no major issues. After the last upgrade we had a few bugs to work out but managed to get through. We use webgrade and teachers are logging it and doing grades and attendance. Students are now choosing their schedules for next year and so far thing are good.  Could your repeated crashes have something to do with automatic updates? I know Apple will update you to death. Doesn't it reboot everytime that happens?

Robin