Dear Members of the University Community,

I write to notify the UVM Community that I have informed President Daniel Fogel of my desire to step down as Provost on June 30, 2009. The decision was not an easy one, and one that I spoke with Dan about for some time, but it is the right personal decision for me at this time. I truly look forward to continuing my scholarly work in X-ray crystallography of minerals and returning to the classroom.

At UVM I have especially valued the opportunity to work closely with a remarkable leader and friend in Dan Fogel; I always greatly admire those from whom I learn.  Much has progressed at UVM during my tenure as Provost, and I humbly thank the many members of this Community who have made that happen. The successful completion of our decennial review in April will serve as a milepost to mark our collective efforts. The trajectory of UVM is remarkable, and I am pleased to have helped advance it in collaboration with colleagues at the institution.

President Fogel will communicate shortly about the process to identify my successor.

John M. Hughes
Provost and Senior Vice President