Fellow UVMers,

Here's what's going on:

1. Heat wave coming! I heard a little rumor that the temperature is supposed to climb above freezing this weekend.

2. The Board of Trustees is in session today and tomorrow for their February meeting. The meetings are all public (unless the move into Executive Session). You can find the schedules, agendas, and attachment materials here: http://uvm.edu/trustees

3. The SGA Senate, the governance body of the students, is currently seeking two off-campus undergraduates. Applications are always being accepted for both on and off campus positions and when a vacancy is created the application pool is automatically tapped. You can find the application for Senate Appointment on the SGA website: http://www.uvm.edu/sga/documents.php

4. Next week is Winter Activities Week! If you're looking for a new club to join or perhaps a second or third club to be a part of, you definitely need to check this out. The information is lower in the e-mail.

5. Do you want my job? Two students on this campus will be the next SGA President and Vice President (respectively). Are you one of them? The process works like this: You sign out a petition and get 500 signatures to earn a spot on the ballot. You turn them in with your platform information and soon after, the campaign period starts. Ballots become available NEXT TUESDAY (Feb. 10) in the SGA office on the 3rd floor of the Davis Center. For more information contact Chair of Elections, Seth Corthell. [log in to unmask] or Jessica Lavery, SGA Office Coordinator, [log in to unmask] / 656.2053

Have a great week and best of luck with classes, I know a lot of us have our first tests coming up :I

     - Jay

In this email:
Interested in Becoming a Tour Guide? Apps due today, 2/6!
Juniors: Apply for Mortar Board. App also due today, 2/6!
Banff Film Festival, 2/6 2/7
VT Cynic Lecture Series: Environmental Journalist Adam Sprangler, 2/7
Burlington's Winterfestival, 2/7
Summer U Pep Rally, 2/7
Wakeboard Club Meeting, 2/9
UVM Anthropology Club Meeting, 2/9
Rush Alpha Phi Omega, 2/9 - 2/13
Winter Activities Week, 2/9 2/13
Consul General of Israel to New England VISITS UVM, 2/10
Relay For Life kick-off event, 2/10
UVM Ski and Snowboard Club Shredfest, 2/12
Burlington Mayoral Debate, 2/17
Vantage Point Submissions due 3/6
Juniors: Apply for Mortar Board
UVM History Review Submissions due 4/13
Dismantling Rape Culture Conference, 4/14
Dean Search Finalists to Visit Campus
Counseling Center Help Groups

This week in Athletics:

Fri, 2/6- 9:00 a.m. Vermont Alpine Skiing vs. all the others at the UVM Carnival (Stowe)
Fri, 2/6- 7:05 p.m. Men's Hockey vs. Providence at Gutterson
Sat, 2/7- 2:00 p.m. Women's Hockey vs. New Hampshire at Gutterson
Sat, 2/7- 7:05 p.m. Men's Hockey vs. Providence at Gutterson
Sun, 2/8- 9:00 a.m. Vermont Nordic Skiing vs. all the others at the UVM Carnival (Trapp Family Lodge)
Sun, 2/8- 2:00 p.m. Women's Hockey vs. New Hampshire at Gutterson

-----
Interested in Becoming a Tour Guide?

The AdvoCat program is now recruiting students with strong presentation skills to guide campus tours, speak on panels and conduct interviews for prospective students. Paid position!
Applications are due Feb. 6. Get the application online, at the Admissions Office, or at the ALANA Student Center. Please note these changes to the group interview times: Sunday, Feb. 8, from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and from 3:00 to 6:00 p.m.; Monday, Feb. 9, from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m.; and Thursday, Feb. 12, from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m.
-----
Juniors: An Announcement About UVM's Mortar Board

If you have junior standing, have a 3.2 or better GPA, and expect to graduate in either December 2009 or May 2010 (there may be some exceptions to these general graduation dates), you are eligible to apply for membership in Mortar Board, a national senior honor society.  For more information about Mortar Board and for application materials please visit this website: www.uvm.edu/~mboard
-----
Banff Film Festival Friday
The Outing Club at UVM is hosting showings of films from the Banff Film Festival. Come check it out!
February 6 and 7
Doors 6:15
Film 7:00
CC Theater
By the way, there are still plenty of Outing Club trips open, so come by the house or desk in the SGA office space for more info.
-----
The Vermont Cynic Lecture Series

Environmental Journalist, Adam Spangler
7:00 p.m. Saturday, February 7th
John Dewey Lounge in Lafayette
Contact [log in to unmask] with any questions
-----
Burlington Winter Festival

The Burlington Winter Festival will be on Saturday February 7th from 10:00 a.m. 4:00 p.m. on Church Street Marketplace following the Penguin Plunge down on the lake. It's a family-friendly event for the Burlington community, so of course students are welcome!
-----
Summer U Pep Rally

Come celebrate 10 days until Summer U registration opens!  Join us February 7th from 5:00 7:00 p.m. in Brennan's for free food, prizes, and a Catamount Dance Crew performance.  One lucky attendee will go home with a Dasani Mountain Bike! We will also have student hockey tickets for the men's hockey game against Providence that night so don't miss out! For questions or more information about the event, contact [log in to unmask] or visit our website at uvm.edu/summer.
-----
Wakeboard Club Meeting

Weekly Meeting: Wed at 7:00 p.m. (Feb 9)
Presidential Conference Room (SGA Offices of Davis Center)
More info please contact: [log in to unmask]
-----
UVM Anthropology Club Meeting

Join UVM Anthropology club on Monday (2/9) at 7:30 p.m.
in the Anthropology Department Lobby, Williams 5th floor.
Questions? E-mail James Allen ([log in to unmask])
-----
Rush Alpha Phi Omega!

We are a co-ed community service fraternity, dedicated to volunteering, building leadership and friendship, and having fun doing this.  Rush week is Monday February 9th-13th so come check out some of our events:

Mon 9- Board games, cookies, and coffee - 1st floor Davis Center 7:00 - 9:00 p.m.
Tues 10- Mario Kart - Grand Maple Ballroom, Davis Center 4th floor 4:00 - 6:00 p.m.
Weds 11- Sledding, Snowball fights & hot cocoa - meet outside of Brennan's Pub 4:00 p.m.
Thurs 12- Make Valentine's Day cards - Harris Millis lobby 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.
Fri 13- Info session - Jost Foundation Room, DC 4th floor 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.
-----
Winter Activities Week

This coming week the SGA Student Activities Committee will be hosting the First Ever Winter Activities Week during the week of February 9-13. This week will consist of SGA Clubs tabling every day in the Davis Center Atrium, Lounge, and 3rd Floor Hallway from 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.. This is an excellent chance for you to get to know or get involved with one of UVM's 140 Clubs! Below is a list of the themes for each day.
Monday - Club Sports
Tuesday - Political/Activist/Community Service Clubs
Wednesday - Academic Clubs
Thursday - Cultural Clubs
Friday - Media and Performance Clubs

-----
CONSUL GENERAL OF ISRAEL TO NEW ENGLAND VISITS UVM

February 10th
Israel in the Changing Middle East
The University of Vermont community is excited to welcome Nadav Tamir, Consul General of Israel to New England to its campus for a speaking engagement open to the entire community in John Dewey Lounge.

These events are co-sponsored by Middle East Studies Program, The Department of German and Russian, Vermont Students for Israel, Chabad @ UVM, UVM Hillel, Shalom Home: The Israel Experience, Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity, the Center For Cultural Pluralism, The Global Village and the Israel Center of Vermont

Old Mill, John Dewy lounge
Tuesday, February 10 7:30 p.m.

Josh Neirman
Vermont Students for Israel
802-299-9548
-----
Relay for Life Kickoff Event

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 at 7:30  p.m. in the Sugar Maple Ballroom. Relay For Life is the American Cancer Society's signature activity. It offers everyone in a community an opportunity to participate in the fight against cancer. Teams of people camp out at a local high school, park, or fairground and take turns walking or running around a track or path. Each team is asked to have a representative on the track at all times during the event. Come out and show us your support. Relay for Life has officially begun! Any questions? Contact Mackenzie Leonard at [log in to unmask] or Joe Sheridan at [log in to unmask]. See you there!
-----
UVM Ski and Snowboard Club Shredfest

Meet the UVM Ski and Snowboard Club for a gnar shredfest down at the Lafayette Couryard (Behind the Lafayette building) on Thursday, February 12th at 5:00 p.m. for a night of shred, music, fun, tons of free stuff, and overall awesomeness.

Expect appearances by Atmosphere Clothing all the way from Oregon, Eesa, Ski Rack, DJ ZJ, pro riders and many many MANY more.
-----
Burlington Mayoral Debate

Join us in the Livak Ballroom on the 4th Floor of the Davis Center at 7:00  p.m. February 17th (my mom's birthday!) for the first and only mayoral debate held on UVM campus. Moderated by a student with a panel of representatives from the student body, staff, and faculty asking questions, this debate truly is the only debate focused on us (the students). See candidates Andy Montroll, Dan Smith, Bob Kiss, and Kurt Wright duke it out (verbally). Hosted by the SGA, with support from the Office of Federal, State, and Community Relations.

Contact Chris Shackett, Chair of the SGA's Committee on Legislative Action with any questions. [log in to unmask]
-----
Call for submissions to Vantage Point, Deadline March 6th

Is fiction your hustle? Is poetry your hustle? Is art your hustle? If so, Vantage Point, UVM's premiere Literary and Artistic Journal is once again accepting student submissions of poetry, fiction, essay, criticism, painting, photography, sculpture and installation for our Spring 2009 edition. Vantage Point is the voice of UVM's literary and artistic community and after a staggering turnout for our Fall 2008 edition, we are looking forward to seeing what that community has to offer in the new year. Please send all submissions as word attachments numbering no more than five and pages no more than eight and inquiries to [log in to unmask]. The deadline for all submissions is March 6th. Brace yourselves, Vantage Point is coming!
Your editors,
Robert M Downey & Caylin Capra-Thomas

-----
Call for submissions to UVM's History Review

The University of Vermont's History Review is now accepting submissions for publication in our upcoming issue. The History Review is a student-managed, self-published academic journal sponsored by the History Department. Our goal is to both highlight and encourage the outstanding historical scholarship of all students, regardless of departmental affiliation. Papers should pertain to a historical topic, and have been written for a completed or current course at UVM. Submissions should be formatted as follows:
- Microsoft Word
- 12 point font
- Times New Roman
- Double-Spaced
- Justified Margins
- Footnoted Citations formatted according to the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th Edition.
- Bibliography Page formatted according to the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th Edition.
- The author's name should not appear on the document.

All papers must be submitted electronically to Dr. Sean Field at [log in to unmask] by Friday, February 13, 2009. Please title the subject line "History Review Submission," and be sure to include within the text of the email: the author's full name, email address, local address, and local telephone number.

Decisions regarding the papers will be made in late October.

All articles being considered for publication are read by the Editorial Board, which, in light of its overall responsibilities, may request revisions. Please consider your willingness to make such adjustments before submitting. The final decision on publication is at the discretion of the Editorial Board.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact Dr. Field, or the Senior Editor, Alex Lehning, at [log in to unmask]

We look forward to your submissions!

Sincerely,

The Board of Editors
------
Dismantling Rape Culture Conference

Mark your calendars! The 4th Annual Dismantling Rape Culture Conference will be held April 14, 2009
More information to come!
http://www.uvm.edu/~women/drcc.html
-----
BSAD Dean Search Finalists to Visit Campus

Three finalists in the search for the next dean of the School of Business Administration will visit campus in the coming weeks. The campus community is invited to attend presentations and open forums held by each candidate.
See the schedule and read more about the finalists.
-----
Counseling Center

Need a little emotional/mental support? The Counseling Center is here to help you.
To sign up for a group, please call the Counseling Center to set up a half hour informational meeting with a group leader who can help you determine a good fit.

The Man Box: A Group for Men: Mondays 5:156:45 p.m.
This group is for men looking to connect with other men without drugs and alcohol. As men, we are socialized or boxed into fearing each other, and to see each
other as threats and competitive rivals. This leads to feeling isolated and detached from other men, and does not allow men to form meaningful connections.
This group will offer a safe space for men to explore internal and external barriers that inhibit more meaningful friendships. Through readings, film and discussion,
we will explore the meaning of friendship, masculinity, and build bridges.
Keith E. Smith, MS, Men's Outreach Coordinator

Mental Health Skills Training: Tuesdays or Wednesdays (Allen House)

Group #1: Tuesdays 3:154:45 p.m.
Group #2: Wednesdays 3:154:45 p.m.
This will be a very helpful training if you have been dealing with overwhelming emotions (e.g., sadness, anger, worries, and guilt) and often feel frustrated and
hopeless about controlling your emotional reactions. The purpose of this 78week long training is to help you develop helpful behavioral skills to cope with the
challenging emotions. You can't always control what you feel, but you have a choice how to respond to it.
Yoonhwa Cho, PhD

Remembering We're Human (A Self-Care Group for women)
Tuesdays 3:004:30 p.m. (Jacobs House)
This will be a skills-based group that supports members to develop a positive relationship to yourself. We will use film, journal writing, creative activities and
group discussion to explore how early life experiences have shaped our current self concepts and actions. With practice and compassionate reflection on this
understanding members will begin learning how to create a life of choice instead of habit. Please bring a blank page book that will serve as your journal and
"Memory Book" for the semester
Linda Cade, MA, LMHC

Conversations on Race: Wednesdays 5:006:30 p.m. (Allen House)
A weekly discussion and support group for individuals wanting a safe place to share the everyday experiences and challenges of dealing with issues of race.
Come engage in dialogue; learn to build bridges and to embrace our own uniqueness.
Linda Cade, MA, LMHC

Creating a Healthy Relationship with Food & Your Body
Wednesdays 3:004:30 p.m. (Jacobs House)
For students who have struggled with body image and eating concerns, this group is designed to provide a safe environment for exploring one's relationship with
food and body. Students will develop a greater understanding of how the experience and management of emotions affects body image, eating patterns, and
expectations of self. In addition, students will learn strategies to improve body appreciation and eating habits.
Kelly Thorne, PsyD, Candace Polzella, M.S.S., R.D.

Grief & Loss: Thursdays 4:005:30 p.m. (Jacobs House)

Students who have experienced the loss of a loved one (parent, sibling, friend) recently or in the past, have this opportunity to share their experiences with each
other, supporting and being supported and learning ways to do the emotional and physical work of grieving.
Walter Brownsword, III, MA, LADC, CCS

Healing Depression with Mindfulness: Wednesdays 3:005:00 p.m. (Allen House) Starting Date TBA

8 weeks plus day retreat (on a weekend, TBA)
This group is appropriate for students with a history of depression, or who are currently experiencing mild depression. Participants will practice a variety of methods
to help them become more mindful, i.e. nonjudgmental awareness of the present moment. Participants will learn to identify and work with thought patterns that
have spiraled into depression in the past, and develop strategies to prevent future relapses.
Miv London, PhD

Learn Self-hypnosis to Reduce Anxiety, Social Phobias, and increase
Self-esteem: Wednesday 5:156:45 p.m.

False representations by the media and misinformation have created many myths about hypnosis. In fact, all hypnosis is self-hypnosis. Hypnosis is a natural state
of deep relaxation whereby your unconscious mind is more open to suggestions. You are always in control. It is from this grounded perspective that you will learn
the basics of self-hypnosis, deep relaxation, and meditation. You will then learn how to apply these skills to manage your anxiety, social phobias, and to increase
your self-esteem.
Keith E. Smith, MS, CHT

Mindful Living: Mondays 3:305:00 p.m. (Allen House)

Starting date TBA: 7 weeks plus a day retreat (on a weekend TBA)
The Mindful Living group is a workshop designed to address anxiety and stress by teaching participants how to become more mindful, i.e. nonjudgmental awareness
of the present moment. Using a variety of approaches, including sitting and walking meditation, body scan, yoga, and others, participants cultivate the ability to let
go of stressful thought patterns and to experience more moments of peace and well being in their lives.
Miv London, PhD

SAFE (Substance Affected Family Experience)

Wednesdays 4:306:00 p.m. (Redstone)
SAFE is a group for students who have experienced family life in which one or both of the parents or caregivers struggle or struggled with substance use or
dependence. The focus of the group is on a shared experience of supporting one another in daily life at college. Group meetings have the starting point of current
life and especially on developing healthy relationships. This is a good group for you if you want to focus on developing more meaningful connections with fellow
students and making the most of your college years.
Derek George, MDiv, LICSW, LADC and Christine Germano, MS

Contact the counseling center at 802.656.3340
-----
Delicious. Gourmet. Grilled. Cheese.

FeelGood is open THIS WEEK on WTF, uhh - I mean TWF: that's Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday of this week...and every week! We're located in the DC Tunnel and we're open for lunch from 11 a.m. - 3 p.m.. Come on by and get a grilled cheese with a donation to The Hunger Project (THP )**! We raised $20K last semester and we're looking to set a new record in the Spring (semester that is, it's still the winter season right now).

**THP is an international organization that uses a bottom-up empowerment model to find a sustainable end to world hunger. [20,000 people die every day as a result of chronic persistent hunger but it won't be that way for long. With your partnership, hunger will be ended not by 2100 but in our lifetime].

Leah Grossman [log in to unmask]
-----
Questions regarding this e-mail?

Jay Taylor