Thursday, February 5th, 2009:  6:00 A.M. update from Waterbury, VT

New Snow:  0.2 inches

Liquid Equivalent:  0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio:  20.0

Snow Density:  5.0% H2O

Temperature:  3.6 F

Humidity:  48%

Dew Point:  -15.1 F

Barometer:  30.30 in. Hg

Wind:  Calm

Sky:  Light Snow/Flurries

Storm snow total:  0.2 inches

Storm liquid equivalent total:  0.01 inches

Current snow at the stake:  23 inches

Season snowfall total:  129.2 inches

It’s been five days since we’ve had any accumulating snowfall at the house, as the last measurable snow was recorded on January 31st at 12:00 P.M.  It’s certainly felt like quite a dry stretch, so I checked my records and found that the five-day period from January 31st to February 5th ties for the longest stretch we’ve had without measurable snow since December.  The only other period of this length was from December 25th to December 30th, and since it was the holiday period and we were out of town for a few days, the lack of snowfall wasn’t as obvious.  This event has also been our first accumulating snow for the month of February, so it is starting out on the dry side.

A quick peek at the accumulations list on skivermont.com and some of the ski area websites indicates that none of the resorts are reporting any substantial snowfall from this event.  The next potential snowfall event looks like it will be a cold front passage from Saturday into Sunday.  The temperatures will be warming on Saturday ahead of the front, and the NWS suggests that the valleys may see a mix of snow and rain before everything changes back to snow on Sunday.  Without any substantial new snow this week, but reasonable snowpack down to even the lower valleys, decent snow preservation, and comfortable temperatures, I suspect that the backcountry is going to be a popular place this weekend.  I’ve updated some of my data charts with this latest event, and have included them below:

J.Spin

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. Check it out. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SkiVt-L is brought to you by the University of Vermont.