Friday, February 20th, 2009:  6:00 A.M. update from Waterbury, VT

New Snow:  6.4 inches

Liquid Equivalent:  0.15 inches

Snow/Water Ratio:  42.7

Snow Density:  2.3%

Temperature:  16.9 F

Humidity:  82%

Dew Point:  10.4 F

Barometer:  29.23 in. Hg

Wind:  Calm

Sky:  Snow

Storm snow total:  10.5 inches

Storm liquid equivalent total:  0.44 inches

Current snow at the stake:  24 inches

Season snowfall total:  141.6 inches

Some intermediate snowfall observations yesterday evening went as follows:

6:00 P.M.: 0.0”

7:00 P.M.: 0.3”

8:00 P.M.: 0.8”

9:00 P.M.: 1.0”

We had generally light to moderate snow yesterday evening, but it certainly felt like upslope.  Then at around midnight I noticed that the snowfall had really started cranking up, and I did a quick check to find ~2 inches on the snowboard.  This morning there was a total of 6.4 inches on the snowboard, and it is certainly Champlain Powder™ dry.  I could tell immediately when I walked through it and couldn’t feel it on my legs that the density was going to come in extremely low, and the numbers revealed that it is just 2.3 % H2O.  I’m anxious to see how hard the snowfall keeps up today, but in any event the skiing should be off the hook with this stuff on top of yesterday’s medium-weight powder.  Only a few resorts have sent their storm totals in to SkiVermont.com so far, but I’ve added them below:

Jay Peak:  18”

Stowe: 15”

Stratton:  12”

J.Spin

Windows Live™: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect. Check it out. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SkiVt-L is brought to you by the University of Vermont.