Tuesday, February 24th, 2009:  7:00 A.M. update from Waterbury, VT

New Snow:  3.7 inches

Liquid Equivalent:  0.09 inches

Snow/Water Ratio:  41.1

Snow Density:  2.4%

Temperature:  13.6 F

Humidity:  78%

Dew Point:  5.7 F

Barometer:  29.91 in. Hg

Wind:  0-5 MPH

Sky:  Flurries/Light Snow/Mostly Cloudy

Storm snow total:  18.2 inches

Storm liquid equivalent total:  1.15 inches

Current snow at the stake:  33 inches

Season snowfall total:  164.5 inches

Our snowfall tapered off down here at around midnight after some fairly heavy upslope snowfall; here are some intermediate accumulations from last night at the house:

Time – Total snow on board

8:00 P.M. – 0.0”

8:30 P.M. – 0.8”

9:00 P.M. – 1.5”

9:30 P.M. – 2.0”

10:00 P.M. – 2.9”

11:00 P.M. – 3.6”

12:00 A.M. – 3.7”

That brings our total for this event to 18.2 inches, and our total for the back to back storms is 33.4 inches.  As I suspected, some of the mountains have now hit six feet of accumulation from the last six days of snow.  My daily email from Bolton Valley this morning had this to say:

Six Feet of Snow.

“Looking back at the log we keep of snowfall totals for the year I can hardly believe the last six days. It seems as if I am dreaming. We have measured snow of a foot or more on four of the last six days. We have a six day total of six feet. That's taller than most people. That's two yards of snow.”

Here are some of the two-storm totals for local areas on the Green Mountain spine, listed north to south:

Jay Peak:  68”

Smugg’s:  54”

Stowe: 52”

Bolton 72”

Our back yard stake is now at 33 inches as of this morning, and the Mt. Mansfield stake is at 86 inches as of yesterday evening.  It will be interesting to see if the Mansfield stake report goes up with last night’s accumulation or down due to settling when they check it this evening.  For now here’s the current snowpack plot for our stake and Mt. Mansfield’s:

J.Spin

It’s the same Hotmail®. If by “same” you mean up to 70% faster. Get your account now. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SkiVt-L is brought to you by the University of Vermont.