I'm going to put a couple of unrelated thoughts in here...

The Burton Fish snowboard is the best / easiest to ride powder board I
know of.  Why?  It's not because it's fatter than most snowboards.
It's because of the shape.  Big nose, little tiny tail.  And the
stance is set way back.  The shape and stance are key.  The extreme
taper and set back stance cause the tail of the board to sink and the
nose to rise, which lets the board plane / float at low speeds.  It
also means that you don't need to actively weight the back of the
board like you do on a standard snowboard, so your back leg doesn't
get tired quickly like on a standard board.

I know skis have traditionally had taper, but are there any severely
tapered powder skis?

The other thought is the difference in motivation / technique / gear.
Some people are obsessed with making "perfect turns".  Others are
obsessed with the "fun factor" and how easy it is to get to the "fun".

Some snowboarders, particularly those obsessed with form / technique,
cannot stand the Fish.  It allows for non-perfect technique.  Some
would say it even rewards bad technique.  But, it immediately made my
"fun factor" increase tremendously in powder / woods.

Not that technique obsessed folks are wrong.  For years I rode
hardboots on a race snowboard.  I was out in Minnesota and there was
no such thing as powder and trees, just perfectly groomed hardpack 400
vertical feet at a time.  So, obsessing over the perfect carved turn
was the thing to do.  But now, I'm much more about the "fun" when I'm
on a board.  I'm not sure where tele falls in the spectrum for me.
I'm enjoying it, but it does seem to be more towards the "technique"
side of the scale than the "just have fun" side of the scale.

--
Jason - "redraobwons"