How 'bout cranking it up a few notches and have the racers take off skis, put 'em on their packs and ascend a fixed line up one of the gullies in the Notch on the Mansfield massif, avalanche conditions permitting.  Something easy like Easy Gully?
I thought this was silly, at first, but the more I think of it, the more I realize ....... well, why not?

Mark P. Renson

From: Get Skied <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 9:47:29 PM
Subject: Re: [SKIVT-L] Stowe Rando Race?

I'd rather see a Stowe-Smuggs combo race, if I had my way.

It would involve the Gondi side, Spruce, Sterling and Route 108, not
necessarily in that order. The only real annoyance would be
negotiating 108 (Over Easy Transfer Lift?), but that could be
mitigated by having competitors finish the first leg on Gondi and then
run across the entrance to the main lot to the dirtbag lot (some
asphalt skipping would be necessary), and skin up and over 108, then
back up and over Sterling, over to Spruce to end at the base of
Spruce.

What am I saying, that sounds miserable.

Evan