I don't know what's officially required.  I've been scolded once or twice
(in 20 years) for using the backcountry trails w/o a pass after skiing over
from the west.

There's a good common-sensical argument for paying if you're using the
groomed trails.  An argument not without refutation, of course, if you're
just transiting through the system

Yeah, it's a pain to have to schlep to the touring center for the mere
pleasure of
relieving yourself of cash. (Although for a rando-man in the full flush of
youth it's what, two minutes out of your way?).

However, the stowe nordic center is really the neglected stepchild of $teaux.
They need all the support they can get.