Apologies for duplicate messages.

This week the Regional Educational Technology Network (RETN), the Center
for Research on Vermont's public-access television partner, will
broadcast two Center for Research on Vermont-sponsored programs:

(1) "Ancient Knowledge, Modern Synthesis: Local and Global Roots of
Herbalism in Vermont" by Kit Anderson, Environmental Program, University
of Vermont (UVM): Vermont today is a significant center in the ongoing
evolution of herbalism in North America. Ethnobotanist Kit Anderson,
UVM, explores the specific plant knowledge, healing practices, and
beliefs about plants and human health held by several influential
herbalists in Vermont. The program, which runs 1 hour and 8 minutes, can
be viewed on Channel 16 (both North and South) as follows:

        Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at  3 A.M.
                        repeats at               9 A.M.
                        repeats at               3 P.M.

This program was originally presented as #197 in the Center's ongoing
Research-in-Progress Seminar Series on March 9, 2006.

(2) "The Taste of Maple Syrup: Past, Present, and Future" by Amy Trubek,
Nutrition and Food Sciences, UVM, with additional remarks by Montserrat
Almena-Aliste (Nutrition and Food Sciences, UVM) and Lee Corbett
(Graduate Student, Geology, UVM): Maple syrup makes the Green Mountains
edible. When we pour this thick, sweet liquid over our pancakes, we are
bringing the much loved Vermont landscape into our houses---we get to
taste the Green Mountains. Maple syrup is a wild food, harvested first
by the Abenakis, then by early colonists, and now by farmers,
homesteaders, and others. Maple syrup links us to our landscape, but
what does it taste like? Food anthropologist Amy Trubek explores the
tastes of Vermont maple syrup and why Vermont's maple syrup could be the
first of many foods that define our future tastes.

This program, which was cosponsored with the Friends of Special
Collections, was originally presented as #212 in the Center's ongoing
Research-in-Progress Seminar Series on April 10, 2008. It runs 1 hour
and 15 minutes and can be viewed on Channel 16 (both North and South) as
follows:

        Wednesday, April 1, 2009, at  8 P.M.
                        repeats at               midnight
         Thursday, April 2,2009, at    11 A.M.

If you live outside of the RETN broadcast area (see below for a list of
the communities that RETN serves), you may view this and other recent
Center videos on demand. To do this, point your browser at
<www.retn.org> and click on /Center for Research on Vermont/ on the
lefthand column. A menu will appear featuring a number of Center
programs. You may also select the stream quality that best suits your
browser (fastest to slowest: Broadband Video, Dial-Up Video, and Audio
Only).

In addition to the Webstreaming option, videotapes of many Center
programs may be borrowed from the Center's Video Library in DVD and VHS
formats upon request. Please visit our Web site at <www.uvm.edu/~crvt
<http://www.uvm.edu/%7Ecrvt>> and click on Video Library on the
righthand column for more information about the programs that are
available.

Special note: The Center's partnership with RETN has been of inestimable
value to us since we began it in 1996. Not only do we have permanent,
tangible, and archivable records of Center programs, but this
programming also has the potential to reach viewers far beyond the
number of audience members who attend the live presentations, including
some 30,000 households in the Greater Burlington area who subscribe to
Comcast. Now, through the technology of video on demand, Center
programming has become available to virtually all computer households
that are connected to the World Wide Web on a 24/7 basis.

Please take a moment to contact RETN (<[log in to unmask]
<http://www.retn.org/>> or 802-654-7980) to let them know that you
appreciate their continuing commitment to broadcasting scholarship and
research on  topics of importance to Vermont and Vermonters. You may
also take their brief Viewer Survey at <www.retn.org>. Thank you!

For more information about RETN's schedule, please visit the RETN Web
site at <www.retn.org <http://www.retn.org/>> or contact RETN directly
at 802-654-7980. The schedule is usually the same for both RETN North
(Comcast Channel 16 in Burlington, Essex, Essex Junction, Williston, and
Winooski) and RETN South (Comcast Channel 16 in Charlotte, Ferrisburgh,
Hinesburg, Shelburne, and Vergennes).

Kristin Peterson-Ishaq
Coordinator, Center for Research on Vermont
     and Vermont Studies Program
University of Vermont
589 Main Street, Nolin House
Burlington, VT  05401-3439
Email: <[log in to unmask]>; Telephone: 802-656-8363
Web site: <www.uvm.edu/~crvt>