Apologies for duplicate messages.

This week the Regional Educational Technology Network (RETN), the Center for Research on Vermont's public-access television partner, will broadcast two Center for Research on Vermont-sponsored programs:

(1) "Ancient Knowledge, Modern Synthesis: Local and Global Roots of Herbalism in Vermont" by Kit Anderson, Environmental Program, University of Vermont (UVM): Vermont today is a significant center in the ongoing evolution of herbalism in North America. Ethnobotanist Kit Anderson, UVM, explores the specific plant knowledge, healing practices, and beliefs about plants and human health held by several influential herbalists in Vermont. The program
, which runs 1 hour and 8 minutes, can be viewed on Channel 16 (both North and South) as follows:

        Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at  3 A.M.
                        repeats at               9 A.M.
                        repeats at               3 P.M.

This program was originally presented as #197 in the Center's ongoing Research-in-Progress Seminar Series on March 9, 2006.

(2)
"The Taste of Maple Syrup: Past, Present, and Future" by Amy Trubek, Nutrition and Food Sciences, UVM, with additional remarks by Montserrat Almena-Aliste (Nutrition and Food Sciences, UVM) and Lee Corbett (Graduate Student, Geology, UVM): Maple syrup makes the Green Mountains edible. When we pour this thick, sweet liquid over our pancakes, we are bringing the much loved Vermont landscape into our houses—we get to taste the Green Mountains. Maple syrup is a wild food, harvested first by the Abenakis, then by early colonists, and now by farmers, homesteaders, and others. Maple syrup links us to our landscape, but what does it taste like? Food anthropologist Amy Trubek explores the tastes of Vermont maple syrup and why Vermont’s maple syrup could be the first of many foods that define our future tastes.

This program, which was cosponsored with the Friends of Special Collections, was originally presented as #212 in the Center's ongoing Research-in-Progress Seminar Series on April 10, 2008. It runs 1 hour and 15 minutes and can be viewed on Channel 16 (both North and South) as follows:

        Wednesday, April 1, 2009, at  8 P.M.
                        repeats at               midnight
         Thursday, April 2,2009, at    11 A.M.

If you live outside of the RETN broadcast area (see below for a list of the communities that RETN serves), you may view this and other recent Center videos on demand. To do this, point your browser at <www.retn.org> and click on /Center for Research on Vermont/ on the lefthand column. A menu will appear featuring a number of Center programs. You may also select the stream quality that best suits your browser (fastest to slowest: Broadband Video, Dial-Up Video, and Audio Only).

In addition to the Webstreaming option, videotapes of many Center programs may be borrowed from the Center's Video Library in DVD and VHS formats upon request. Please visit our Web site at <www.uvm.edu/~crvt> and click on Video Library on the righthand column for more information about the programs that are available.

Special note: The Center's partnership with RETN has been of inestimable value to us since we began it in 1996. Not only do we have permanent, tangible, and archivable records of Center programs, but this programming also has the potential to reach viewers far beyond the number of audience members who attend the live presentations, including some 30,000 households in the Greater Burlington area who subscribe to Comcast. Now, through the technology of video on demand, Center programming has become available to virtually all computer households that are connected to the World Wide Web on a 24/7 basis.

Please take a moment to contact RETN (
<[log in to unmask]> or 802-654-7980) to let them know that you appreciate their continuing commitment to broadcasting scholarship and  research on  topics of importance to Vermont and Vermonters. You may also take their brief Viewer Survey at <www.retn.org>. Thank you!

For more information about RETN's schedule, please visit the RETN Web site at <www.retn.org> or contact RETN directly at 802-654-7980. The schedule is usually the same for both RETN North (Comcast Channel 16 in Burlington, Essex, Essex Junction, Williston, and Winooski) and RETN South (Comcast Channel 16 in Charlotte, Ferrisburgh, Hinesburg, Shelburne, and Vergennes).

Kristin Peterson-Ishaq
Coordinator, Center for Research on Vermont
     and Vermont Studies Program
University of Vermont
589 Main Street, Nolin House
Burlington, VT  05401-3439
Email: <[log in to unmask]>; Telephone: 802-656-8363
Web site: <www.uvm.edu/~crvt>