The Vermont State Archives and Records Administration (VSARA) was created last July through the transfer of the old Public Records Division within the Department of the Buildings and General Services to the State Archives within the Office of the Secretary of State.  On March 11-13 the State Archives offices at Redstone (26 Terrace St, Montpelier) moved to new quarters at the Middlesex record center on Rt. 2, just off the Middlesex exit from the inter-state.

The construction of new vault spaces at Middlesex will be part of Phase II construction; there is currently a request in the 2009 capital construction bill for Phase II.  If Phase II is funded all the archival records at Redstone will be moved to Middlesex later in 2009. The records currently remaining at Redstone include the Manuscript Vermont State Papers; original legislative acts and legislative committee minutes; gubernatorial records; and records of the Surveyor General’s office. For the interim period those records will be available by advanced appointment.  To follow developments as we bring VSARA into being and consolidate at Middlesex please visit our website (http://vermont-archives.org/).

Gregory Sanford

Vermont State Archives and Records Administration

(802) 828-2369