If we presume that a person's Windows computer is (a) installing Windows
updates automatically, and (b) has an antivirus application with current
definitions, then I don't think there's much to worry about. If either a or
b above is not true, then the system in question has many potential
exposures.

If you are looking for what would constitute due diligence, I would suggest:

1.       Run Windows Update and install all updates (start with SP3 on XP or
SP1 on Vista if it isn't there already)

2.       Verify that the vulnerability exploited by this attack is
installed; look for update KB958644 <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958644>
which was released in October, 2008.

3.       Check that the antivirus application has current definitions.

4.       Schedule or start a full system scan at the end of the workday.

That's what I'd do.

If the Live OneCare online scanner if going slowly, you can use the
Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool, which address a set of common
malware, to detect and remove Conficker
(http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx). Similar
tools are available from the major A/V vendors.

More general information, including links to various remediation tools, is
available at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conficker

Larry, I hope that helps,

-Geoff