Warning:  I'm not sure I'm making a point here.  Just thinking out loud and
wondering about a trend I'm seeing in how we seek information.
I had a revelation recently to how much YOU TUBE has infiltrated the way
young people seek information.  I guess I knew kids liked browse "you tube"
for entertainment videos,  but recently I've come to realize that more and
more are using it as their first source for seeking information.
You know how the language went from "look it up on the Internet"  to "Google
it" -- well I'm predicting "you tube it"  it not that far away.

More and more I'm hearing from kids "I learned it on You Tube;  you can
learn anything on youtube.

Had a 7th grade girl tell me that her laptop works much better now that they
reformatted it.  I asked her how she learned that - "you tube" she
responded.

I proceeded to ask her questions about how she knew that the creator of that
video knew what s/he was doing?  etc. etc. etc.

This is not an isolated case.  I know a 8th grader who has been teaching
himself to play the piano via You Tube.

If you've been assigned to read "All Quiet on the Western Front"  for social
studies class, you no longer have to find the Cliff Notes if you're behind
in you're reading.  There are 354 videos including the full classic movie
chunked up in 200 videos.

As an educator who believes in teaching to the many varied modalities,  I'm
glad that students are finding their learning style and seeking information
presented in a way that they learn best.

BUT I'm also worried  about how much harder it will become to teach READING
strategies if kids no longer practice those strategies.

I met a literacy teacher who is now starting to use You Tube to show
students how to use the Vermont Reads Institute Reading Strategies in both
text and video modality.
He told me of a recent assignment where students were assigned to watch the
Abbot and Costello Video on You Tube and listen slowly enough to be able
to document the position of all the players.

Can we build a levy to hold back what appears to be a growing wave?
Or do we need to add teaching students to understand "author's purpose"  and
credibility of the author  of the increase in video sources the same way we
have accepted that "wikipedia"  or the Internet will be their primary way of
seeking information.

I am  afraid that we will see a  decrease in the ability to decode text and
more literacy challenges when it comes to processing print,  but I'm not
sure that we can stop this trend.

Lucie

--
Lucie deLaBruere