I also was on a trip with students this past weekend, though only 5, not
65.  A couple of things that I learned and will be doing on any future
"outings":

1. Require that all students bring a working cell phone.  As Ray's note
indicates, this shouldn't be a big deal in most schools.  There are ways
to accommodate students who don't have one.
2. Have all the students call you, so you can capture the number.  Do
this first thing, and their cooperative instincts will kick in and
you'll get the number.  Sometimes kids don't want to give their numbers
to an adult for some reason, or they may make a mistake in giving you
the number. Capturing the number is almost foolproof.
3. Establish the expectation before hand that students will have their
cell phones charged, on, and will answer.  Make it clear ahead of time
that a student who does not answer their cell phone when called will be
in violation of your trip agreement.  Obviously, there are times when it
is not appropriate to answer a cell phone or even to have it turned on,
and you are likely to run into these occasions on a field trip, but
that's probably not when you will need to reach a student.

Funny story: One evening, we were on a night tour and one of the
students got separated from the group.  I thought, "No problem, I've got
his cell number."  Problem was, his cell number was one digit off his
home number and he had mistakenly given me the wrong one.  Instead of
the student, I got his mother, who didn't speak English well, and who
suddenly thought her little boy was lost in the dark in a far-away city.
That kind of excitement you don't need!  It took a couple of phone calls
to sort that one out.

Steve Barner
South Burlington