________________________________

From: School Information Technology Discussion
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sigurd Andersen
Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2009 11:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Web Page Overhaul..., also integrating technology - advice?

I'm a part-time jack-of-all-trades IT for Walden School.
I do the web site myself. The CSS is not quite right -
see esp. menu on grade 7-8. Looks fine w/ Firefox, but not IE.
Haven't thought about taking the time to fix it for quite a while.
I've been taking a few staff pictures lately to replace
the "no picture" signs, esp. on the staff page, and entering
the text (have not yet received anything in electronic form)
for each person's "blurb".

Until this year, I spent about a day a week at Walden (pre-k-8, 130+/-
students),
keeping computers, incl. file/printer server & network working,
along with helping staff with Word, Excel, email, whatever--, various
related issues,
and creating an occasional database (e.g., for tracking meals).

This year I'm spending a good part of most Wed & Thurs
in front of kids in grades 3-8 (usu ~45 minute/week w/each grade).
(bare-bones curriculum principal & I cobbled together)
This summer the principal is putting on the agenda figuring out how
to take "integrating technology" the next step.
She has already drawn out matrices on 6' swaths of paper
mapping technologies and subjects.

If any of you (Lucie, I've been in awe of what you've been doing for
forever)
have some thoughts, suggestions on a couple of fronts, I'd welcome
getting them.

One is facing how to change the "technology culture" of a school.
Teachers need to get comfort using tech tools for their own use before
capably/comfortably passing on those skills as part of history, math,
whatever.

We have little "teaching technology" (e.g., just got some Elmos a year
or 2 ago,
may get white boards if the board and community will agree to including
in a budget).
We have a collection of over a dozen computers in the library, so that
any one class
can have a computer per student. The PCs are squeezed into too-small a
space,
so that a teacher can only see from any one spot what 1/3 or 1/2 of the
students
are doing with their computer.
The principal and I have been talking about laptop carts; I've been
wondering if the school
should consider a "One Laptop per Child" environment - every kid gets
his/her own device -
say, for implementation over the next half-dozen years. I think getting
$$ into the budget to
consider making big changes is unlikely. Perhaps there are grants out
there for this ...

Comments welcome
Sigurd Andersen

Bjorn Behrendt wrote:

	At Proctor I do my own.  I am currently redesigning it using
Drupal, with my site being hosted from (http://www.siteground.com/)
(their cheep and have servers optomized for drupal).   Our teachers use
the document feature of our email client (zimbra) for creating their
personal websites.   If we didn't have zimbra I'd have teachers create
their personal sites in Google sites (part of Apps), or if our SIS
program has a parent portal I'd push managing that over a web presence.
.

	the dev site I am working on: http://dev.rcsu.org/

	-bj