UVM Tower Logo

The University of Vermont

President's Commission for Social Change

March 16, 2009

Dear Students, Faculty and Staff:

Maintaining the health, safety, and welfare of our campus community is of primary importance. In active pursuit of that endeavor, we are pleased to forward to you the University’s new Personal Safety and Security Policy. This policy outlines the necessary steps that are to be taken in case of an emergency or any threat or act of violence. The policy also offers a list of valuable prevention and support resources available to faculty, staff, and students.

The announcement of this new policy is an important reminder that we must all play an active role in preventing and responding to threats of harm. In doing so, please be aware of key resources for reporting suspicious, concerning, or dangerous events:

C.A.R.E. Team
http://www.uvm.edu/~dos/?Page=careform.html
The on-line form for reporting any concerning and/or risky event to a team of multi-disciplinary professionals representing various campus services and offices.

Gender Violence Report Form
http://www.uvm.edu/~women/?Page=anonreportform.html&SM=cgvpmenu.html
The on-line form for reporting incidents of sexual violence, relationship violence, or stalking to the campus Victim’s Advocate.

Personal Safety Response Team
http://www.uvm.edu/hrs/
Provides information regarding support and resources for preventing and responding to workplace violence or threats.

Crime Report Form
http://www.uvm.edu/~police/?Page=reportcrime/index.php
The on-line form for reporting suspicious or potential criminal act.

Also, on behalf of the President’s Commission for Social Change, we encourage you to become actively involved in promoting a campus where everyone can be healthy and feel safe. If you would like to become involved with or learn more about the President’s Commission, please feel free to contact one of us or browse the Commission Website at:
http://www.uvm.edu/~presdent/?Page=commissions/pcsc/socialchange.html&SM=submenu5.html

Sincerely,

Annie Stevens  and Kathryn Friedman

Co-Chairs, President’s Commission for Social Change