I too happened into the waxwings after voting at City Hall in
Montpelier yesterday morning.
My son and I walked out of the building and were literally eye to eye
with 200+ of them in a feeding party.  We were no more than two feet
from 20-30 of them!  They all took off and wheeled around the parking
lot like Rock Doves.  I suggested we stay right where we were until
they settled down again.  They came back within a couple of minutes
and they were so preoccupied with those fruits that one of them landed
on my head!
Keep an eye out for these stunning birds.
Jeffrey Allen