From: Vermont Birds [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Julie
Waters
Sent: Saturday, March 07, 2009 11:46 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] mnemonics

A sidenote about mnemonics, which is not meant as a criticism of
anyone or a suggestion that this is a bad discussion to have: on a
personal level, I find mnemonics to be very confusing.  To me,
they're like memorizing pieces of music by trying to picture the
sheet music.   I totally get that they work for a lot of people, but
when I hear some of the descriptors that go with a lot of birds, I
just find myself wondering if they're the same birds I hear.

I can't really think of a good mnemonic, for example, for the pine
siskin, because in my head, a pine siskin's call would translate
linguistically to "whir, whir, descending trill, chirp chirp" or
something like that :)

Maybe it's because I'm a musician: I tend to remember sounds
themselves more easily than the words that peope use to connect the
sounds.

--julie

	this is not true.

			--Robert Wilensky