Keep in mind Mountain Bluebirds aren't all "brilliant blue" as the
bird was described. In my experience they have always seemed
gray-blue. I'd think the blue of a male Eastern Bluebird could be
described as brilliant though...and if the bird was flying around
eye-level or below it might seem completely blue. But anything is
possible :)

Just giving my two cents.

Eric Cannizzaro