Hi Julie,

I went to the FAQ section of Docline to refresh my knowledge concerning RUSH and Urgent Patient Care time lines.  Some of the recent responses didn't ring a bell.  The only thing I saw concerning this was the following statement - "Rush and Urgent Patient Care requests must be receipted the same day..."  There was no differentiation between the two.

Since your a coordinator, I would appreciate your considered opinion on the difference between RUSH and Urgent Patient Care.

Thanks,
Nicole

Nicole Pouget,  MLS,  MS
Medical Librarian
Physician and Staff Health Science Library
Wyoming Medical Center
1233 East 2nd Street
Casper, WY  82601

Phone:  307-577-2450
Fax:   307-577-7858
Email:   [log in to unmask]

>>> "Kwan, Julie" <[log in to unmask]> 3/3/2009 2:06 PM >>>
I am the DOCLINE coordinator for Region 7. When I train staff in how to
use DOCLINE, I caution them about offering Rush service if they are a
one person library, and if they are open less that 5 full days a week I
actively discourage it.

When you check the box in DOCLINE that you offer Rush service, you are
effectively telling the DOCLINE community -- guaranteeing to them in a
sense -- that you will fill the request the same day you receive it,
even if that request comes in at 4:45pm and you leave at 5. Another
scenario, you get the message at 1:45 but you're off for a 2 pm - 5 pm
meeting with the Safety Committee and have no none else to turn the
requests over to. It's better if DOCLINE can send Rush requests to
libraries that are open 5 days a week and have staffing backup.

You can still offer quick and speedy service for normal requests. Also,
we encourage everyone to get the email alerts most appropriate for your
library (large libraries may only want email alerts for rush and UPC,
libraries that are small volume will probably want alerts for any
request).

Regarding placing your own requests, I assume that you change the
service level to Rush when you are placing a Rush request.

Julie

Julie Kwan, MS, AHIP
Library Network Coordinator
NN/LM Pacific Southwest Region