From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of Erickson, Emily
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 11:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Discussion: interlibraryloan rush requests

Hi, Everyone.  I had an interesting experience recently and wanted to
get everyone's knowledge/feedback.  I have been in this job now for
almost six years, and I don't have a lot of rush requests, but when I
do, I send the request through Docline and then I usually call the
library and say that I sent a request that is rushed, and ask if they
have any idea when it will be available.  I thank them profusely and
strive to be very respectful of their time and commitments.  Well, I did
this recently, and totally got slammed - for lack of a better word - for
calling.  I was told that I couldn't expect a rush article for 24 hours,
and that it was wrong of me to call them.  I felt really bad, since I
haven't had this experience before, and was wondering maybe it is wrong
for me to be contacting the library, but how else would they know if
they had a rush request?  I check my Docline only once a day and if I
had a rush request, I wouldn't know it.

Anyway, if I could hear how other people do this I would really
appreciate it.  I don't want to be upsetting anyone, but sometimes I
need an article fast.

Thanks!

Emily

Emily H. Erickson, MLIS

Medical Librarian

Mary Greeley Medical Center

1111 Duff Ave

Ames, IA 50010

515-239-2154

*The information contained in this message may be privileged and
confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from
your computer.  Thank you.  Mary Greeley Medical Center*

The information contained in this email is intended only for the use of the person(s) identified above. This communication may contain work product which is privileged and confidential, and may contain content which is regulated by Federal law. If you are not an intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible to deliver this to the intended recipient, you have received this message in error and any review, distribution or copying of it by you is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately, and delete the message. E-mail and communication system messages generated by members of the Atlantic Health workforce may not necessarily reflect the views of Atlantic Health, its officers, directors or management.