From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of Erickson, Emily
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 11:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Discussion: interlibraryloan rush requests

Hi, Everyone.  I had an interesting experience recently and wanted to
get everyone's knowledge/feedback.  I have been in this job now for
almost six years, and I don't have a lot of rush requests, but when I
do, I send the request through Docline and then I usually call the
library and say that I sent a request that is rushed, and ask if they
have any idea when it will be available.  I thank them profusely and
strive to be very respectful of their time and commitments.  Well, I did
this recently, and totally got slammed - for lack of a better word - for
calling.  I was told that I couldn't expect a rush article for 24 hours,
and that it was wrong of me to call them.  I felt really bad, since I
haven't had this experience before, and was wondering maybe it is wrong
for me to be contacting the library, but how else would they know if
they had a rush request?  I check my Docline only once a day and if I
had a rush request, I wouldn't know it.

Anyway, if I could hear how other people do this I would really
appreciate it.  I don't want to be upsetting anyone, but sometimes I
need an article fast.

Thanks!

Emily

Emily H. Erickson, MLIS

Medical Librarian

Mary Greeley Medical Center

1111 Duff Ave

Ames, IA 50010

515-239-2154

*The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.  Thank you.  Mary Greeley Medical Center*