Along those lines, it would also be nice to dictate specific days the
library *is* able to fill rush requests. I'm an OPL but don't work
Fridays. I've taken to checking my email from home on Fridays just so I
can forward any rush requests.

Regarding the phone call, I agree that giving a heads up is appropriate.
But did you call immediately upon putting in the request? The other
librarian may have felt you were pushing the "rush" request into an
"urgent patient care" one, and reacted to that. I usually call a couple
of hours before I leave for the day to make sure I can get it to my
patron before the next day if it's a rush, and mention that when I call.

I can also relate. I got "slammed" by someone who had *just* gotten to
work and hadn't even checked email when I called regarding a request
that had been put in the afternoon before. Neither of us were very happy
for those five minutes. (We worked it out via email shortly thereafter.)

Brett VanBenschoten
Library Associate
California Hospital Medical Center
213-742-5872 v
213-765-4046 f
"A month in the laboratory can often save an hour in the library." -
Frank H Westheimer