Some people like to get as many turns as they can out of their vert and
that's the way they have fun. I just got back from a trip to Idaho and the
guides wanted us to spoon short radius turns all over the place, it drove me
nuts. Whatever floats your boat works I guess. Progressive shapes do not
require that you make super-g turns in fact they can be quite fun making
shorter turns. They are however a heck of a lot of fun to open it up on.

Allen

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 10:47 PM, Nathan Bryant <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

>  Denis Bogan wrote:
>
>  http://cownow.com/~shark/ak_2009/day5_lisa/IMG_4603.JPG <http://cownow.com/%7Eshark/ak_2009/day5_lisa/IMG_4603.JPG>
>
> This is an argument for staying with what I've got.  I have zero interest in taking 1000
> vertical foot Alaskan faces in 5 GS turns.  I want to make tracks like the other guys
> in that picture.
>

>   All I can say is that I've found fatter to be more stable and, hence,
> safer, when the conditions lean towards the kind of windslab that wants to
> hook your tips... such as the conditions that were in effect the day that
> photo was taken.
>
> My "fatties" (95mm waist) allow me to ski faster and bigger turns, but they
> also mix it up, ski short turns, and enable skiing that is more in control
> and involves less flailing, so I won't be going back to my 79mm's except for
> spring conditions and resort skiing on McSludge.
>
> Megawatts are in an entirely different category, though, at 130mm waist. I
> probably don't want them at this point, but aside from enabling those who
> have the urge to go bigger and faster, I suspect that for other skiers who
> require more floatation (specifically, either heavier and/or less skilled
> skiers), they might just be what is needed to enable safe(r) skiing. The
> rockered tip and tail appear to make the ski turn like a shorter ski but
> float like a longer ski, which I would expect would enable short turns as
> well as long GS turns. My skis have a semi-rockered tip, and it's been nice
> to have.
>
> So color me firmly in the Anti-Tag camp ;)

As lonely as the mountain can be, lonelier still is the man whose travels
take him away from the mountains.