Under "Settings/Discussion" there are check-boxes (among others) for
[ ] Allow people to post comments on the article
/    ([this setting] may be overridden for individual articles.)

/[ ] Comment author must fill out name and e-mail
[ ] Users must be registered and logged in to comment

If only the first (or first two?) of these 3 were checked, I think you'd
get the situation you mention.
Sig