Under "Settings/Discussion" there are check-boxes (among others) for
[ ] Allow people to post comments on the article
    ([this setting] may be overridden for individual articles.)

[ ] Comment author must fill out name and e-mail
[ ] Users must be registered and logged in to comment

If only the first (or first two?) of these 3 were checked, I think you'd get the situation you mention.
Sig

[log in to unmask] wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Sig,

Is it possible to create an open comments section where do you do not have to be logged in to make a comment?

Thanks,
Jon