-----Original Message-----
From: School Information Technology Discussion
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Leslie Pelch
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2009 12:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Intro to GIS trainings offered Summer 2009

VCGI will once again offer a 12-hour Computer Mapping course for
municipal officials, K-12 educators, and others. Here are the specific
dates and locations the course will be offered:

*Rutland (Stafford Technical Center)- July 9, 16, and 23, 12:30 to 4:30
pm *Montpelier Session One (133 State St.) - August 5 and August 6, 9:00
am to 4:00 pm *Montpelier Session Two (133 State St.) - August 12, 19,
and 26, 12:30 to 4:30 pm

Topics that will be covered in the course are described below. The fee
for the course is $60 and includes a 170-page training manual.

Course Content:
This course provides training designed to teach basic Geographic
Information Systems (GIS) knowledge and skills. It is not required that
the intended participant have any prior experience using GIS, but
familiarity with using computers (especially basic file management) is
important.
Using free software (ArcExplorer - Java Edition for Education (v2.2.3))
participants will explore mapping options and resources that they can
continue to use when they return to their office or classroom. Exercises
and supplemental information provide additional opportunities for
exploration.

The successful completion of these exercises will give participants the
skills necessary to:

1. Acquire, evaluate, and use digital geographic data in a GIS
application 2. Modify the appearance of geographic data layers 3.
Perform simple queries and analyses, and 4. Create and export maps and
data.

Registration Deadlines:
Rutland (18 seats)- June 30, 2009
Montpelier (10 seats each session) - July 28, 2009

Visit the web page for registration form and more information:
http://www.vcgi.org/commres/training

or contact me with questions! 882-3002 or [log in to unmask]

Leslie Pelch
Outreach Coordinator
VT Center for Geographic Information
Waterbury, VT