From: "Steve Cavrak" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2009 1:34:16 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: netbooks - recommendations ?

On Apr 27, 2009, at 10:06 AM, Bill Clark wrote:

Does anyone have any good things/recomendations about netbooks ? Looking to
replace a dead laptop.

Thanks,

Bill Clark

A lot depends on "what do you want" ... I'm happy with my Dell 9" that came with SSD and Ubuntu but a keyboard built for XP :(; the Dell 10" would have a HD and XP, but a keyboard built for Ubuntu ! :( You can't always get what you want, but you can always get what you need ...

Then, for the more adventursome ... there is this option developing

Home » Netbooks Skytone A680 Netbook to Sell for $250

Submitted by AndroidGuys on Sunday, 26 April 2009 Comments (2)

skytoneThe race for the first Android netbook to hit the streets looks to be Skytone ’s to lose right now. The Alpha 680 is expected to go into final stages of prep with a prototype due in June. From there, a launch is expected 1-2 months later.

The price of the A680 will come in around $250 , which is higher than most had hoped for. It’s not a terrible price, but it’s still not the $100-$200 ARM was hinting at .

The netbook uses an ARM11 CPU running at 533MHz, a 7″ LCD screen with 800 x 480 px resolution. Memory comes in at 128MB DDR2 RAM with expansion up to 256MB, 1GB SSD expandable up to 4GB. There a slot for SD cards, 2 USB ports, and WiFi. A 2-cell battery will provide enough juice for 2-4 hours using WiFi or the optional 3G antenna.

http://androidguys.com/?p=4712