Several weeks ago, Jeff Keltner of Google Enterprise demonstrated Google Apps for K-12 at the VSA meeting at U32 High School.  We’ve begun testing Google Apps and I wanted to share some of the issues that have come up.

Google Apps includes Google Docs and our teachers are excited about the potential of sharing documents with their students.  You can not currently disable GMail for an individual account or for a group of users.  That presents a problem for us.   Some of our schools do not allow students to have email accounts and when you create a new user in Google Apps, it comes with Gmail.  The only way to disable GMail today is for the whole domain, so there is no easy way to disable Gmail for an individual or group of users.

Google is working to allow disabling of applications through the groups mechanism that they have, but they do not have that capability today and it is still a few months away.

Is there a workaround to be able to share documents with kids using Google Apps but for them not to have a Gmail account?

Robert C. Brinkley, Director of Technology

North Country Supervisory Union

338 Highland Ave., Suite #4

Newport, VT  05855-4897

Phone (802) 334-5847 ext. 18