Good question.

We use GAPE with students.

I was thinking that creating a separate domain for Faculty and Staff.

But then comes the issue of the best way to allow sharing between the two.

When we did our first test,  we did not allow students to share documents outside the domain.
Now we are experimenting with allowng outside sharing.
This allows students to share documents with teachers who have their own Google Account.
But then again this allows students to set up an excel spreadsheet and use the discuss feature as a CHAT window.
or to use a Word document in a similar way.

Again... I think that setting expectations about behavior is more important than a technical solution to what your students can and can't do.  But its all stuff we are discovering.

At the Vita Learn Meeting NW we set up a document to compile  what we are learning,  and our questions.  (sort of creating an internal  VT  FAQ)  If you send me a request off list,  then I'll add you to the document.

Lucie