We have used leasing in our district for purchasing mobile laptop labs.  It makes it possible for schools with limited funds to afford getting a mobile lab one year and pay it off over 3 years.  At the end of the lease we have the option to buy each laptop for $1.  We did this with Gateway laptops (who have now gone under) ......we still are paying off the leases.
HP does leasing too. We have not done leasing for any switching or wireless hardware as it seems to have a longer life than do desktops, laptops and servers.  Jean

Jean Campbell
CESU Technology Support
211 Browns Trace
Jericho, VT 05465
Phone: 802-858-1726

>>> Jack Barnes <[log in to unmask]> 4/30/2009 10:15 AM >>>
Leasing can be tricky

The basic problems with leasing is that you may be stuck with a particular vendor (may not be a problem) and you don't control the interest rate on the funds.  You could calculate what it would cost you if you had to borrow the funds to purchase the equipment.  Compare that to the lease costs to see how much you are paying.  Also look at what else they may be offering such as maintenance or upgrade protection.  they may be able to sweeten the deal enough to make it a good deal.  Ultimately it is a financial decision, which costs more?

Jack W. Barnes, CNE
Head Network Administrator
CCSU
Office 802-857-7000
Ext. 1039
Cell 802-318-0976
Fax 802-879-8197

>>> Darth Vader <[log in to unmask]> 04/30/2009 9:46 AM >>>
Does anyone know or have experience with something along the lines of a
lease for network infrastructure?

I'm thinking of something like a 10-year lease on switching and wireless
infrastructure so we can plan for and upgrade consistently.

Anyone know of or done something like this?

Mike

Michael Vining, SB Network Services

South Burlington School District

South Burlington, Vermont 05403

Direct: (802) 652-7298

DNS Help Desk: (802) 652-7050

Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).  If this email contains

dangerous content by MailScanner, ClamAV and Bitdefender  and is
believed to be clean.

The information contained in this communication, including any
attachments, is confidential,constitutes privileged
communication, and is intended only for the use of the
addressee. This message may not be forwarded without prior
consent from the sender. The information in this e-mail is
also protected by the rights afforded under Family Educational
Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and school district policies.
Any unauthorized use, forwarding, distribution,disclosure,
printing or copying is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
us immediately at 802-879-8192 or return e-mail,and delete any
copies of this message immediately.  Any inadvertent disclosure
of this communication shall not compromise the confidential
nature of the communication.