We've had this discussion here at length over the past few years. We state in the "Network Usage Agreement" that access to the internet is viewed as an essential part of the students education. Our form is not presented as an either/or option rather an agreement of terms. We do not have a student who has been denied internet access by their parents to date. If someone did balk, we've talked about a meeting with those parents and /or guardians to explain the nature of instruction, that learning to use these tools in a sophisticated fashion can not be done via denial of service, that this level of access is treated the same as access to books. Explain that the school does it's best to provide an environment that is safe and actively promotes students to make responsible choices. It is a given that students could make poor choices but that's no different than the responsibility they must use to choose what they put in their pockets, book bags or the conversations they could have on the bus, the hallway or the lunch room.

We do not restrict computing access for disciplinary reasons. Standard penalties apply instead ie discussions, detentions, suspensions etc. We had the discussion here that it would make no sense to take away all access to books and the library if a student cheated on a test, or access to the cafeteria tomorrow because of a food fight today: ... "access is an essential part of the students education."

2 cents, Adam