Our experience with carts has been very positive, and I can think of no
better way to provide the access teachers want and students need without
having to drag kids to the ³wired² lab. We also do not have space for more
than one lab, and with 15 classrooms (plus Unified Arts) =250+ students in
the middle school one lab is just not enough.

Cycle: we do 3-year leases, and are just about to retire our oldest
generation of laptops at six years (!). This is a BIT too old, but they are
holding on. We have replaced most of the original batteries, but most lasted
3-4 years. That said, the labs were not used in the earlier years as heavily
as they are now, and a couple of our 3-year olds are beginning to need
battery replacement already. Still not bad, and I consider this a
justifiable expense to keep them going. Battery prices are also going down,
but you get what you pay for. BTW does anyone have a suggestion for
disposing spent Lithium batteries?

As for maintenance, yes it IS a bit more time consuming, but again I think
the time is well spent when I walk by classrooms where students are learning
core subjects ³in place² and computers are wherever we want them, whenever
we need them. As I worked in one of our ³project rooms² today with our Lego
Robotics club I also had a discussion with the facilitator about how such
applications would just not be possible without portable labs. Laptops are
also much more conducive to collaborative projects ­ three kids at one table
vs. trying to cluster chairs in a lab.

Eric Hall
Technology Coordinator
Waterbury/Duxbury Schools