Our experience with carts has been very positive, and I can think of no better way to provide the access teachers want and students need without having to drag kids to the “wired” lab. We also do not have space for more than one lab, and with 15 classrooms (plus Unified Arts) =250+ students in the middle school one lab is just not enough.

Cycle: we do 3-year leases, and are just about to retire our oldest generation of laptops at six years (!). This is a BIT too old, but they are holding on. We have replaced most of the original batteries, but most lasted 3-4 years. That said, the labs were not used in the earlier years as heavily as they are now, and a couple of our 3-year olds are beginning to need battery replacement already. Still not bad, and I consider this a justifiable expense to keep them going. Battery prices are also going down, but you get what you pay for. BTW does anyone have a suggestion for disposing spent Lithium batteries?

As for maintenance, yes it IS a bit more time consuming, but again I think the time is well spent when I walk by classrooms where students are learning core subjects “in place” and computers are wherever we want them, whenever we need them. As I worked in one of our “project rooms” today with our Lego Robotics club I also had a discussion with the facilitator about how such applications would just not be possible without portable labs. Laptops are also much more conducive to collaborative projects – three kids at one table vs. trying to cluster chairs in a lab.

Eric Hall
Technology Coordinator
Waterbury/Duxbury Schools
Washington West Supervisory Union